Self Reflection Essay

Zeenat Qanoongo

Writing for the Arts and Humanities

Spring 2022

Prof Brener

Self Reflection Essay

Throughout this course of writing for the humanities and arts, there were many things I was hoping to learn and improve on throughout the semester. On my part, I did slack in this class and it was my mistake of taking such an early morning class, so as a result I was not there for most of the time, and I doubt I actually achieved the majority of the course objectives. I do think I slightly improved as a writer in terms of forming my own opinions and finding a good amount of evidence to support it. For example, the op-ed that we had to write. I was first going to start with cultural appropriation, which I thought would be a good idea. As I started to listen to my classmates and their topics, I realized I should choose a topic that would relate to me more, that it would be something I could write about. 

I ended up choosing to write about women in desi culture, as I am a woman of desi culture. The op-ed was a lot easier to write in terms of experience. I also got a lot of evidence in terms of articles and books and it helped a lot with my op-ed. I was able to use that evidence to strongly support my topic. Out of the 4 major assignments of our course i think the Op-ed and the grant proposal were two things I focused on a lot. I think it was also because I knew I had slacked throughout the majority of the course and that I would have to get up my grade somehow. Although this semester was hard for me besides the work, I don’t think I should have slacked the way I did. I also happened to make my portfolio in a rush and I didn’t focus on design or how to make it look presentable. For me it was the end of getting my work in no matter what. 

I think this course could have gone a lot different for me if I had put the effort into it and managed to prioritize my time. As I stated in the beginning, I don’t think I achieved the majority of the goals in this class. I do think I did well on my Op-ed, it was my best piece this semester. While I didn’t do so well on other things I think my grant proposal with my partner was another good piece this semester. I did not grow or improve the way i wanted to and should’ve but i’m going to take this as a lesson and work harder in the future.